Monday, January 1, 2007

Doesn't this matter?

Just a quick post, because I've spent way more time than I like messing around on the internet, but I have to ask--why isn't anyone talking about this?

I've spent the past hour trying to find one--one--other blog dedicated to children's relgious education. I have failed. I've looked at homeschooling moms' blogs--nothing. Tons of blogs on teen ministry. Pages and pages and pages about adult religious education. Nothing, nothing, nothing about teaching children between the ages of six and twelve.

I'm not an expert. I don't have any kids. I like kids, I like the kids I teach, but I've never raised anything more complicated than a cat. I don't like to tell parents their business, because they have every right to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

So why am I, a twenty-three-year-old newlywed, the only person on the internet trying to deal with this question? It doesn't make any sense to me. Everyone is upset about children turning away from God and all the corrupting influence of the world. We're trying (unsuccessfully) to address that in the teen years--when it's really too late.

My friend Cari, who is a librarian, told me that there really aren't any new books coming out on the subject of religious education as a whole concept--not counting Sunday School curricula, which, as far as I can tell, has been recycling the same material for fifty years, in addition to cribbing from Highlights.



I started this blog in the hope that someone would answer me and say, "Here's the book you need to read, to know how to teach your Sunday school in a way that will help the lessons shape the children's relationship with God."

That hasn't happened, and from what I've seen of the dismal blogosphere, I can't imagine that it's going to.

No comments: