Saturday, March 3, 2007

We like you too....

On Wednesday evening, as we were going into the church, Amanda and Lachlan ran up to us. "Is Miss Ginny here tonight?" Amanda asked.
"Yes,"I said.
They both started jumping up and down and clapping. You might recall that JC and I took over for "Miss Ginny" last week, since she was out of town.
"We like you guys, too," I said.
Lachlan, bless her, is a very well-bred child. She stopped jumping around long enough to say, "Oh, we like your class. But we like her class too, and we missed her last week."

My feelings were kind of hurt, although I get it, and I ended up thinking about the incident through most of the ladies' Bible study. Our preacher's wife was sitting next to me, and she turned to me after class and asked me what was on my mind. I told her what had happened, and then I told her the kinds of classes JC and I are doing, and how upset we were when we discovered that our kids, for all that they loved Jesus, couldn't find the Gospels in their Bibles and didn't understand that Jesus was the Son of God. "You'll get a lot of support for what you're doing," she said. "We need those kids to really understand."

She helped me feel a little better.....

I guess it's like when I was a kid and I thought it was horribly unfair that we didn't have any TV to speak of (one channel, grainy). Now that I'm an adult, I feel like I should thank my parents for refusing to buy a satellite dish (WV's state flower). I don't have TV now (or, we have a TV, it just doesn't get any incoming signal. We use it for watching DVDs), and I have no intention of having one when we have children. You don't know what it is you need, when you're a kid. The packaged curriculum has coloring sheets and coloring sheets make you happy.

No comments: