Thursday, May 3, 2007

TGS: The Play

As it turned out, the girls really liked the little play I wrote for them. I was afraid they wouldn't get it, or they'd think the jokes were dumb, but they were really positive. We did a read-thru and blocking last night. I'm glad Amy was there--I definitely needed the moral support! I felt so discombobulated all day yesterday.

I worried that, having directed in grad school, I wouldn't be very good at directing amateurs again. I was concerned that my snobbery and impatience would get the better of me. Instead, I had a great time with them last night. They're not perfect, of course. No one has even the tiniest semblance of technique. That stopped mattering, though. I rejoiced when they found the funny things that I had hidden in there for them. I found that I had underestimated them--I didn't have to explain nearly as much as I thought I would.

They all speak too fast, they all mumble, and they all turn their backs to the audience--but you know, I don't care. They'll be fine. It will be a good little play.

No comments: